Free Route Airspace
DFS customers have been able to use Free Route Airspace (FRA) since March 2018. FRA makes additional direct route options available at high altitudes above 7.5 kilometres or flight level (FL) 245. This saves on aircraft fuel and reduces emissions.
DFS Free Route Airspace was introduced in several steps, starting with the airspace over northeast Germany. Since February 2021, Free Route Airspace has been available as follows:
- DFS Karlsruhe UAC
- EDUU North: above FL285, 24 hours
- EDUU East: above FL315, 24 hours
- EDUU West: above FL245, 24 hours
- EDUU South: above FL315, 24 hours
- DFS Munich ACC
- EDMM East: above FL245, 22:30 (21:30) to 04:00 (03:00) UTC
- EDMM South: above FL245, 22:30 (21:30) to 04:00 (03:00) UTC
- DFS Bremen ACC
- EDWW East: above FL245, 22.30 (21:30) to 04:00 (03:00) UTC
On this page, DFS provides news and documents related to the current Free Route Airspaces. Customers will find the latest information about upcoming implementation steps, which will enable them to make adequate preparations and ensure a seamless transition towards FRA operations.
Airspace Design Project COBRA - 24 March 2022
On 24 March 2022, we implemented the major airspace design project COBRA at the interface between DFS Karlsruhe UAC and Maastricht UAC. Additionally, there are cross-border FRA options available between the DFS FRA cells EDUU North, EDUU East and EDUU South available 24 hours, as well as cross-border FRA options between EDUU South and SECSI FRA available at night. To offer Airline Operators and Computerised Flight Plan Service Providers to prepare optimally for this major change effective AIRAC 24 MAR 2022 and RAD2203, the following files are available:
- DFS FRA Cells Overview
- Free Route Data AIRAC MAR2022 (Excel)
The updated FRA cells overview shows all cells in one map as level PDF to select and deselect objects. The detailed maps for each cell will be available shortly before the AIRAC date. The Excel file with the data contains relevant information for all DFS FRA cells.
Route Availability Documents (RAD)
All related RAD2203 documents are already published on RAD homepage and may be sorted for “ED” in ATC unit and additionally “NEW/AMD/DEL” in column A, so you see at first glance the changes relevant for this AIRAC both in DFS AoR and Maastricht UAC AoR. Especially in RAD App. 7 there are multiple FUA restriction for new NPZs. Besides the standard “not available for traffic” restriction we use more complex restrictions to force traffic between FRA cells during day via certain points to cross a specific NPZ, while at night all available points may be used. In RAD App.4 many DCTs are deleted, as they are now available as crossborder FRA option between the different cells or towards SECSI FRA.
- For the RAD documents related to Free Route implementation, please refer to the Eurocontrol NM RAD website.
Visualisation of restrictions
- DFS offers a tool to visualize restrictions related to Connecting Routes.
DFS FRA Restriction Viewer
- Robert Winker, DFS FRA Project Manager
- Tel: +49 (0) 6103 707-1216
- E-mail: email@example.com