Our glossary contains frequently used terms and acronyms together with their explanations.
Tasks and results
We contribute to facilitating an efficient air transport system by identifying and evaluating innovative procedures and technologies. Our tasks include:
- Supporting the Board of Managing Directors and other DFS units when making decisions and updating strategy.
- Assessing ideas and their transformation to innovations at DFS.
- Developing, validating and optimising future concepts, procedures and systems in the air traffic management system.
- Reducing risks associated with the introduction of systems and procedures for air navigation by early evaluation and optimisation, as well as by achieving an early transfer of innovations.
- Enhancing the productivity of the existing airspace structure and the human-machine system of air traffic control, while taking into account constantly changing requirements.
- In synergy: developing, upgrading and maintaining in a cost-effective manner simulators for the purposes of research and training.
In this context, DFS works together with various smaller or larger companies and research institutions. In the following, you can find some highlights of the results:
- Stereoscopic visualisation and interaction concept for working positions in control centres
- Award-winning design of the control tower human-machine interface (HMI)
- Automatic reception and assessment of aircraft-derived data that are relevant to ATM
- Technological enhancements of DFS simulators
- Real-time simulations for the validation of novel procedures
- Development of the airspace for German airports
- Validation of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) to enable integration in civil airspace